Walter has been an amazing mainstay of the Idaho deaf community for many years. His commitment to advocacy and accessibility for individuals who are deaf have improved the quality of life for many in his commuinity.
As a Governor-appointed Board Member of the Idaho Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (CDHH) for nineteen years, Walter passionately advocates for deaf education and services and has testified in front of the Idaho State Board of Education on several occasions. In 1991, he was instrumental in enacting the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in Idaho and also in getting a TTY installed at the Boise airport.
Beyond his tireless advocacy efforts, Walter has also been involved in the following:
- 1985 & 1991: President, Treasure Valley Association of the Hearing Impaired (TVAHI)
- Idaho Association of the Deaf
- LDS Deaf Ward of his church – volunteered countless hours as finance clerk for over 17 years and served two 4-year terms as the Deaf Leader for his congregation
- Taught ASL classes on a voluntary basis through his church and in the community for 15 years
- 1955 – 1959: Served as track manager and was on the wrestling team while at Gallaudet University
- Spring 2012: Honored as the oldest living member of Boise Valley Deaf Club (during their 80th anniversary gala)
At the spry age of 78, Walter has been described as the kind of person who immediately puts people at ease. He has generously given his time and talents to many people and causes and continues to maintain a positive attitude and a quick wit. He embraces life and is known for his sense of humor, intellect and determination.
This leadership recognition has been brought to you by Hamilton Relay.
About Hamilton Relay
Hamilton Relay offers a variety of services including Telecommunications Relay Services, Captioned Telephone and Internet Relay services. Hamilton provides Telecommunications Relay and/or Captioned Telephone services to 16 states, the District of Columbia, the Island of Saipan and the Virgin Islands. More information is available at hamiltonrelay.com.