Sheri Ann Farinha of Sacramento, California has been selected as the Hamilton Relay 2022 Deaf Community Leader Award recipient for the state of California. Sheri brings energy, dedication and many years of advocacy for the Deaf Community.
The multitude of causes that Sheri has influenced which benefit the Deaf Community include telecommunications rights, civil rights and language rights (LEAD-K). With 29 years of experience working as the CEO for NorCal Services for Deaf & Hard of Hearing, she has influenced lives in more ways than can be counted.
Some of Sheri’s most recent accomplishments include:
- Chair of the California Coalition of Agencies Serving the Deaf and Hard of Hearing since 1999
- California Domestic Violence Advisory Council, appointed by Governor Jerry Brown in 2016-present
- Co-founder and current National Director of the Language Equality and Acquisition for Deaf Kids, Kindergarten Readiness (LEAD-K) – grassroots advocacy movement to support public policies addressing language development and acquisition in deaf and hard of hearing children
- Co-chair of California Stakeholders for ASL & English since 2009
- CalEd (California Teachers of the Deaf) Lifetime Achievement Award (2022)
- Joint Senate and Assembly Resolution honoring Sheri (2019)
- National EHDI Nominee for Maxon Award of Excellence (2018 and 2022)
- Recipient of Trailblazer Award from Deaf/Hope (2008)
- CSUN/NCOD’s Distinguished Service Award (2009)
This leadership recognition has been brought to you by Hamilton Relay.