David Adams of Belle Chasse has been selected as the recipient of the Hamilton Relay 2019 Better Hearing and Speech Month Recognition Award for the state of Louisiana. His peers describe him as a leader who looks to have a positive influence on the lives of those around him.
After surviving a stroke in 2005, David was diagnosed with Broca’s aphasia and apraxia of speech. While participating in speech-language therapy, David cofounded the non-profit organization David’s Apple, LLC in 2010. The goal of David’s Apple is to increase professional knowledge of aphasia for the purpose of gaining awareness of the process of stroke recovery and improving communication between patients and healthcare professionals. Over the years, David Adams has presented to professionals, students and first responders as part of his organization’s mission:
- Allied Health students at: LSU Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, Xavier University, Southeastern University, Delgado University and Southern University
- Healthcare workers at: Ochsner Medical Center, Tulane Medical Center, Touro Hospital and University Medical Center
- City of Kenner Fire Department
- City of Kenner employees
- Individuals attending the regional Brain Injury Conference, the Louisiana Speech-Language-Hearing Association convention, among other conferences.
- Survivors and families at local stroke support groups
David’s compassion for stroke survivors and their families as well as his passion for educating healthcare professionals has brought hope and light to the lives of many individuals whose lives and careers have been affected by stroke. We are proud to present David with the Better Hearing and Speech Month Recognition Award for the state of Louisiana.