Claudia Dewane is known as a "go-getter" and an invaluable resource for education and support for individuals with hearing loss. She has been a strong influence within Pennsylvania and in her local community. As a member of the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) chapter in Pennsylvania (HLA-PA Capital Region Chapter), as well as Chapter Secretary and Librarian, she has volunteered her talents to lead by example, as follows:
- As captain of the Harrisburg Hoofers team, one of many teams in the PA Walk4Hearing fundraiser, she has motivated chapter members and their families to participate and raise increasing amounts of money for the benefit of the national, state and local HLAA organization.
- She developed and maintains the website for the HLA-PA Capital Region Chapter: www.hlacapregion.org.
- She created a hearing loss subject library and continues to maintain and update the publications: http://www.hlacapregion.org/Lending-Library.html.
- As HLA-PA Capital Region Chapter Secretary, Claudia maintains the minutes at each meeting. She has developed chapter brochures and informational packets and prior to each chapter meeting, sends out a press release to the local print and TV media outlets informing about meeting dates, location, speakers and subject matter.
- She has presented workshops at HLA chapter meetings and has served as facilitator during open forums.
- She secured a $1000 grant from a large local retailer for funding towards HLA-PA.
- Her writing and editorial skills have allowed her to publish an article on the effects of hearing loss in two magazines: Aging Well and Social Work Today. She has also assumed the role of Advisory Board member of Social Work Today and as editor of three publications for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Claudia is an Associate Professor at Temple University, where she received the Educator of the Year Award in both 2008 and 2009; nominated by her graduate students. From 1979-2006, she worked for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and earned a Citation for Outstanding Community Service from the 99th Congress.
At every opportunity, Claudia volunteers her time at health fairs and hearing loss expos, using her skills attained by completing the American Academy of Hearing Loss Support Specialist's certificate program to educate attendees about hearing loss. Some of the storyboards that she constructed for specific events have been modified and used by others in similar venues. She is always on the look out for interesting subjects to expand the knowledge of the HLA-PA chapter members and encourages other participants to speak at future chapter meetings.
As outlined above, Claudia maintains an active role in her profession and has gained the respect of many through her personal and professional endeavors. She has demonstrated commitment to enhancing the lives of those around her and we are pleased to recognize Claudia for all of her accomplishments through this award.
This leadership recognition has been brought to you by Hamilton Relay.
About Hamilton Relay
Hamilton Relay offers a variety of services including Telecommunications Relay Services, Captioned Telephone and Internet Relay services. Hamilton provides Telecommunications Relay and/or Captioned Telephone services to 18 states, the District of Columbia, the Island of Saipan and the Virgin Islands. More information is available at hamiltonrelay.com.