Irene Schmalz of Alexandria, Virginia is a passionate individual who devotes her time and effort to supporting children with hearing loss and their families. She works tirelessly to provide emotional and informational support ensuring families are aware of the services offered by Virginia's early intervention system.
Irene is actively involved in Guide By Your Side (GBYS), a program offered through Virginia Commonwealth University that supports families with children who have hearing loss. She became a Family Guide in 2007 and has served as Program Coordinator since 2012. Through her involvement with GBYS, Irene has been instrumental in key efforts including; publicizing the works of the program to increase referrals, recruiting parents to serve as Family Guides, developing a resource guide for families, representing families at meetings and advisory councils, organizing Meet & Greets and more.
Additionally, Irene devotes her knowledge and talents to the following:
- Virginia Network of Consultants, member since 2004
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Consultant
- Virginia Department of Education, supports professionals who work with children and adults with hearing loss
- Fairfax Public Schools, Resource Teacher She has been Adjunct faculty with
- George Washington University, Adjunct Faculty - teaching special education and child development courses
- University of Maryland, Adjunct Faculty teaching special education and child development courses
- National Summit of Deaf Education, State Team Member in 2008, 2011 and 2013
- Hands & Voices, Board of Directors and mentor for parents looking to start new non-profit organizations
Irene Schmalz is commended for her leadership in the State of Virginia and we're proud to present her with the 2013 Better Hearing and Speech Month Recognition Award.
This leadership recognition has been brought to you by Hamilton Relay.
About Hamilton Relay
Hamilton Relay provides contracted Telecommunications Relay and/or Captioned Telephone services to 16 states and the Island of Saipan, and is a provider of Internet-based Captioned Telephone services nationwide. More information is available at hamiltonrelay.com.