Robert “Bob” Green has been selected as the recipient of the Hamilton Relay 2014 Deaf Community Leader Award for the state of Georgia. Bob is well known within the Deaf and Deaf-Blind communities for his advocacy and leadership.
Before Bob’s retirement in 2012, he worked for the Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Agency (GVRA) for over 30 years. His roles there included: evaluator, counselor, and state coordinator for the Deaf-Blind; and he is currently serving his second term as a Governor-appointed board member. Bob also serves on a GVRA committee which educates employers on information around hiring employees who are deaf.
In addition to his work at GVRA, Bob’s involvement with a variety of projects extends to the following:
- Rehabilitation Counselor and Deaf-Blind Specialist for the Georgia Sensory Rehabilitation Center (GSRC).
- Instrumental in starting the Deaf-Blind Access of the South Camp in 1999 which is held biennially at Camp Dream in Warm Springs, Georgia.
- Teaches American Sign Language classes for the Interpreter Training Program at Georgia Perimeter College since 1986.
- Member of the Deaf Extreme committee, which helps students who are deaf, deaf-blind or hard of hearing transition after school.
- Most current project is with Total Living Community, a senior citizen and retirement community.
Bob continues to be a volunteer member of the following:
- National Association of the Deaf (NAD)
- Georgia Association of the Deaf-Blind (GADB)
- Georgia Association of the Deaf (GAD), Northwest Metro GAD Chapter
- Georgia Council for the Hearing Impaired (GACHI)
- Georgia Rehabilitation Association (GRA)
Bob is described by his peers as kind, caring, patient and always willing to teach others. We commend Bob for his dedication to a variety of organizations and projects and are proud to present him with the Hamilton Relay 2014 Deaf Community Leader Award for the State of Georgia.
This leadership recognition has been brought to you by Hamilton Relay.
About Hamilton Relay
Hamilton Relay provides contracted Telecommunications Relay and/or Captioned Telephone services to 17 states, the District of Columbia and the Island of Saipan, and is a provider of Internet-based Captioned Telephone services nationwide. More information is available at hamiltonrelay.com.